Each year, as the Fourth of July approaches, I feel the urge to teach our kids about the United States of America, its history, republic, founders, and constitution. Hillsdale College, an indepedent, conservative college founded in 1844, offers lectures on many topics, including free college history courses on the United States of America.
Hillsdale’s Free College History Courses on the US:
(descriptions from Hillsdale College’s website)
- Introduction to the Constitution: this course considers the principles of the American founding as well as key features of American government based on those principles.
- American Heritage: From Colonial Settlement to the Current Day
- The United States Supreme Court: this course will consider several landmark Supreme Court cases in relation to the Founders’ Constitution
- Public Policy from a Constitutional Viewpoint: this course considers contemporary public policy issues from a constitutional viewpoint
- The Federalist Papers: this course will explore major themes of the Papers, such as the problem of majority faction, separation of powers, and the three branches of government
- The Presidency and the Constitution: this course will help you understand the structure and function of executive power in the American constitutional order
- Constitution 101: The Meaning & History of the Constitution: this course examines a number of documents from the Founding period, especially the Declaration of Independence and The Federalist Papers
- The Great American Story: A Land of Hope: in presenting the great triumphs and achievements of our nation’s past, as well as the shortcomings and failures, this course offers a broad and unbiased study of the kind essential to the cultivation of intelligent patriotism.
- Look for other courses on Hillsdale’s Politics page
Another place to find Free US History Lessons:
Our family has learned so much from This Day in US History, a collection of fact-checked stories, compiled by a history researcher.
[…] Like this freebie? Then also check out these free college history courses , also from Hillsdale […]
[…] has been around for over 170 years. They record their lecture series on a variety of subjects, including history, the writings of Jane Austen, the writings of Mark Twain, and many […]
[…] Free U.S. history college courses from Hillsdale […]